i got angry and made a thing.
As a cashier who deals with this shit every day, it’s nice to see that some people actually care about us.
I had no idea about the speed score thing :O
But if I can add on about being a cashier for a Pharmacy:
1) We’re required to have your name and birthday every time you come up. Don’t roll your eyes and expect us to remember you
2) Don’t mumble your name and birthday. It might be obvious to you, but it’s our first time hearing it so please speak clearly
3) The computers we use at the cash register are very basic and only tell us what prescription you’re getting. If you want to know your insurance info or change your info, you have to go down to the other end
4) When you’re dropping off your prescription, STAY. THERE.
There’s a LOT of information we have to go through, including your insurance, and we don’t want you yelling at us later when you come to pick it up and it turns out your insurance didn’t cover it and we couldn’t tell you because you were gone
5) Just please be patient with us.
Also if I may add a few universal ones for all cashier jobs
1) Hand us your money like you’ve paid for shit before. I’m talking bills flat, stacked upon one another, and usually in some kind of order. Please stop this crumbled, folded shit that’s all over the place. YOU might know you have exactly $25 in your pocket but we have to count that shit and you standing there getting pissy because I have to unfold your shitty sweaty ones BEFORE I count them is annoying everyone.
2) HAND US YOUR GODDAMN CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS. I’m sorry that it’s such an inconvenience that you sometimes have to hand us your cards but in what world does throwing it, placing it on the counter, or sliding it across the counter help? I’ve had to pick up a shit ton of cards, reach over people’s giant mounds of shit, or search through giant mounds of shit because “May I please see your card?” has turned into a mess of a transaction because you for some reason thought that throwing your card at me was appropriate.
3) ID RULES FOR CREDIT CARDS ARE THERE FOR YOU NOT FOR US. MOST businesses require some form of checking ID if your card is not signed, if the transaction is over a certain amount, or just in general. We have non say over which it is or why but it is often against our policies and can lead to termination if we don’t check. So if you don’t have your card signed, please stop acting like it’s a big deal to show your shitty ID when the back of it itself says that it only has authorized use if signed. This goes double for you people that have “See ID” or whatever on there. The amount of times I’ve had people lose their shit over my asking for ID when THEY LITERALLY HAVE INSTRUCTIONS TELLING ME TO CHECK THEIR ID’S. Also, I know that a shit ton of couples use the same bank account and thus have the same set of cards. But please, either get your name added to the card or get your own. Just because you have the same last name as someone doesn’t mean that we can always authorize the use and if your husband/wife doesn’t sign the card and we need ID we HAVE to make sure the names check out. If the card says Dave Smith and you’re Mary Smith I’m sorry, we still can’t approve it. The same goes for using parents’ cards. I used to work at Gamestop and trust me, it wasn’ wild for a teenager to get their Mom’s card so they could buy a new controller or whatever only to have the parent come back pissed demanding refunds so when Billy Boy comes in wanting Madden with no proof that his card is his, yes we will refuse and I’m sorry you had to get out of the car in your PJ’s but you literally wrote SEE ID on the back of the card.
As someone who works at a convenience store
1) GET THE FUCK OFF THE PHONE
If you’re gonna want me to assist you as best as I can, you need to be focused on whats happening in front of you. I can’t dissect what you need or how to process your transaction when you’re on the phone.
2) Don’t throw your money on the counter and mumble what pump youre on for gas whilst leaving. Fucking look at me, articulate your needs FULLY, and hand me the fucking cash.
3) Stop telling cashiers they can “keep the receipt.” Ask us to throw it away for you, but the “you can keep the receipt” doesn’t help if it’s already been printed and I am trying to hand it to you. Its not a fucking gift to me.
4) Stop asking us to ring things for you that you don’t physically have at the register. That bar code? WE HAVE TO FUCKING SCAN IT.
5) Don’t wait until you’re at the front of a long line to dissect what kind of cigarettes, lottery, or gas you want. You should fucking know this before you hold up the line.
6) Yes, I like talking to my customers, but not when there is a whole line there.
7) STOP FLIRTING WITH ME ON THE FUCKING JOB I AM REQUIRED TO BE NICE TO YOU.
8) Buying alcohol, cigarettes, and lottery? Under 35? I HAVE TO SEE YOUR ID. I don’t give a fuck if you come here everyday, its policy and if I don’t ask you and management finds out I am suspended for 7 days. If you have a problem taking 2 seconds to get your ID out then stop coming to the fucking store.
Daaaaaaamn, I didn’t know half this shit! I’m sure I’m guilty of a couple of these myself.